Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Korean, Food and TV Show

Last week when I was in Dublin visiting my friend who is a Korean Fanatic, she introduced me to a variety Tv show. Korean, of course. I don't usually watch variety shows because I know that most of them are scripted. There is no fun when you know something is made up. Sigh.



Man, I was wrong. I am glued to Youtube. The first thing that I watch after I open my eyes and the last thing I do before I hit the sack. I even eat my meals in front of my laptop. That shows how interesting the Variety show is. The name of the Variety Show is The Return of Superman. The show revolves around four fathers and their children. The twist of the show is that they have to take care of their children without the existence of their wives for 48 hours. It’s extremely fun to watch. It is no use for me to explain more because the best thing to do is to watch it by yourself. Enjoy the First Episode: The Return Of Superman KBS, and who knows you'll get addicted too, just like me. 



On the other side, what I really want to talk about is the foods shown in this show. Throughout the whole show, you will notice a little girl named Sarang Choo. Sarang is only 2 years old but she eats like a grown up. She doesn't need her parents to feed her as she can use the spoon really well. She is also known as a BIG EATER. If you don't trust me, see for yourself. 




Every time I watch the show, I feel hungry. Just by watching they eat their foods makes me drooling like a baby. Often after I discover new foods from the show, I immediately Google them which is good. Why? Because not only the show provides entertainment for the viewer, it actually helps in promoting their culture to foreign viewers. It is a great way to introduce their traditional foods globally. Below is the list of worth-trying-foods that I discovered.



1- Korean Rice Cake (Ddeokbokki)


Ddeokbokki is a famous Korean Street Food. You can easily find it in Korea. I have tasted it before when I went to Korea back in 2012. The basic ingredients to make this snack dish are fish balls (optional), spices and also rice cake, obviously. It is really easy to make and it takes less than 30 minute to prepare. However you need to know that there are a few ways to make Ddeokbokki, it really depends on the cook. I have tried this recipe because it suits me as a student; simple and convenient. ;p





2. Egg bread (Gyeranbbang)


Gyeranbbang is also one of the famous Korean Food Street. However, I didn't have the chance to taste this. If only I could turn back time. Sigh. The best thing about Gyeranbbang is that it is literally made up of egg and bread No.Other.Ingredient. You can watch how they make this snack here. Sadly, I cannot find any videos on how to make Gyeranbbang at home. DON'T WORRY. Improvise is always the key to success. Because I don't have the tools shown in the video, you can try and do it like this instead. Enjoy!





3. Rice Ball (Onigiri)


Compare to the two snacks mentioned above, Onigiri is a Japanese food. Sarang Choo, the two year old girl that inspires me to eat all the foods mentioned is a Japanese girl and the father is a famous Korean fighter. Okay let’s get back to the food. Onigiri can be eaten whenever and wherever you want. You need to use sticky rice in order to achieve the desired shape of Onigiri and you can use whatever you want to put in it. For example, sardines or even vegetables. You'll understand more when you watch Japanese 101






That's it! The Top 3 foods that I found while watching The Variety Show: The return of Superman. I hope you enjoy my entry and all the links provided. Don't forget to try it too! It is really worth it. For me, the feeling of accomplishment plus the feeling of the first bite is just wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment